he history of Chaumont is closely connected with that the Earls of Champagne, who built a castle here in the 12 th century. During the 18th century the textile industry dominated the local economy. Chaumont prospered and took a fine appearance. A fortified town, Chaumont is also of historical interest (Headquarters of the US Expeditionary Corps in 1917) and in 1814, it was hare that the Rulers of Europe signed the Treaty of Chaumont, prelude of the Holy Alliance. Chaumont has been famous until for glove making and its viaduct. But from on, Chaumont is the town of posters.